My friend’s Italian mama occasionally makes this soup and sends it to me through my friend via take out containers. I have never met her, but imagine her making this heart warming and nutritious broth with a lot of love in her kitchen. This is my whole food plant based no oil version of Italian mama’s soup. Happy Vegan Day everyone!
1 cup lentils (soaked overnight and drained)
6 cups stock
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1-2 carrots chopped or grated
1 stalk celery chopped or grated
1 teaspoon oregano
1 handful fresh parsley or dill chopped
Salt and pepper (optional)
- Sautee onion in pot with 2 tablespoons of water until onion is soft.
- Add garlic and sautee for another minute.
- Add remaining ingredients except for oregano and parsley.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add herbs and seasoning, simmer for another 30 minutes. You can simmer for longer.